Saturday, April 24, 2010

Being a citizen of this Nation

The other day on Twitter, amidst tweets centering around the current score of the Red Sox game and fans feelings on what Scoots or Pedey did, I happened to see a retweet from someone I follow that simply read, "My friend Ellen has died of ALS. Please pray for her husband and children. They have all been through so much, I'll miss her." ALS rang a bell in my head as Lou Gherig's disease, especially as I was listening to the baseball game at the time but what really stood out was the fact that the profile that opened up when I clicked on it was one decked out with a background of Red Sox jerseys. I knew I had never met this lady, never even knew she existed until I saw her tweet having been passed on to me through another follower, but I typed out a message expressing my condolences, even though we had never met. She replied, thanking me and letting me know that she followed me, to which I replied that any Red Sox fan was a friend of mine. That helped to strike in something I had always known before, Red Sox Nation is like one big family. Fans can reach out to one another from across the country, even country to country even. The common bond of cheering for our Boys from Boston helps us all to have an extended family that had been around since the start of Red Sox baseball. We'll come to the support of one another, just as fiercely and steadfast as our love for any Red Sox team.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm......... so you belive that this lady really cares about you?

    ReplyDelete